Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday Party Decor

Well, Ellie turning one will require multiple posts!  I want to remember the precious details of each part of her birthday, so I will post separately about them.
As many of you know, I am a planner.  I like to plan everything and get a bit stressed out when there are no plans or when things don't go according to plan.  So, I began planning Ellie's party shortly after Christmas.  I did this mostly to avoid getting too stressed as her birthday got closer.  I didn't want to spend my time stressing, I wanted to spend it enjoying all of the moments.  Some people thought I was a bit crazy to plan so early (mother!) but, I think all my plans were well worth it.  I was able to be fully present during Ellie's party and not overly anxious about everything.
After much searching I settled on aqua blue and hot pink.
I wanted to greet my guests with the theme at the door.  So, I made this cupcake wrapper number for the front door.  This was probably my favorite party decoration (check out how-to make your own!)

 I enjoyed pulling things from around the house to create a fun party atmosphere in the dining room.  I used the initials from Ellie's room as well as lots of things from my kitchen (and my mother's!) to bring everything together.



I threw some puffs and little banners around the house, to help spread the party feeling throughout! 



And of course, I had to decorate Ellie's highchair.  My mom and I worked together to make a coordinating party hat for Ellie.  I was surprised with how long she kept it on! 



I love the month by month chart I made.  It is the one party decoration that is still up.  I can't bear to take it down yet.  I love to stop throughout the day and think about how she has grown and changed over the last year.  


I tried to add a little pizazz to her smash cake as well as her cupcakes.  I also added tons of Ellie's one year photos all around the house.



And, I was so thankful because my mom offered to make a onesie for Ellie to wear with her tutu!  It was perfect!!  Here is her party outfit!


I didn't realize how much fun throwing a party can be!  This is the first party I have ever thrown completely on my own.  I hope all the guests had as much fun at the party as I had planning it.  But, above all, I KNOW that Ellie had a fabulous time (giggling, twirling, ohing and ahing) which, to me, was the most important thing.


*I can't take credit for the fabulous photos.  They were taken by our sweet neighbors, the Alfords.*

No comments:

Post a Comment