Monday, November 14, 2011

Halloween

I started thinking about Ellie's Halloween costume back in August!  Andrew and I had decided that she would be a ladybug.  But, we both were a little sad that she wouldn't ever be a classic pumpkin then...a pumpkin is usually best when they are teeny tiny and don't have an opinion about what they want to be!  So, we agreed that she would be a pumpkin.  
I was raised in homemade costumes.  I never once had a store bought costume.  I hope to continue the tradition for Ellie...however I will have to master the sewing machine eventually then!  I felt it was VERY important for at least her first costume to be homemade!  So, I spent a few hours making her tutu and my mom helped me dye her onesie orange and sew the jack o lantern face.  I played with several different bow options before I felt like I had the costume looking just how I imagined.  I am very happy with the way it turned out!
On Halloween, the only celebrating we planned was trick or treating.  She is too little to really enjoy much of the other activities yet.  Andrew was very nervous that he wouldn't be able to make it home in time.  Since he is a first year resident, he was asked to stay late so that the other doctors could take their children out.  Luckily, he still made it home in time for pictures and a little trick or treating!!  
We dressed her up and headed over to our neighbor's house to get some baby pictures.  Luke and Ellie were so cute sitting in the grass together.  
Then, we headed off with them to visit some of the other neighbors on the street.  Ellie made it to one house before she started fussing.  By the time we got to the second house she had spit up on her costume and was screaming to get out of her stroller!  So, Andrew carried her on his shoulders.  We would have gone straight home, but there were a few other resident wives that I wanted to have see Ellie.  So, she happily rode on his shoulders for another 15 minutes or so.  
My favorite picture...I can't get it to rotate in here though :(

Then, we headed home and put her to bed!  It wasn't too extravagant or exciting, but I think it was a perfect first Halloween for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment