Friday, October 14, 2011

The Life of a Doctor's Wife

I don't think I realized how challenging being a doctor's wife would be.  Do we ever understand what challenges we will face until we are actually smack in the middle of the situation?  Probably not.
The schedule is very unpredictable.  Perhaps he will work three days, have a day off, then work two nights, followed by two days, followed by one afternoon off.  I am a person who has lived with a routine and a schedule since I can remember.  Our life no longer has much predictability, which makes it difficult for me.  The one schedule that we hold on to is Miss Ellie's.  I know when she gets up, eats, naps, bathes, and goes to bed.  I think I need her schedule (even though it occasionally prevents me from doing all that I would want to) because it gives me some type of normalcy to cling to.
Ellie and I can't just surprise Andrew at work for lunch.  We have only been up to see him once.  We saw him at the beginning of a shift at the Children's Hospital.  I would love to bring him surprises every once in a while, but he could be with a patient or working a trauma...there is again, no predictability.
Sometimes I find myself getting jealous when I hear about other moms who are so thankful when their husbands come home from work and are able to help out with the baby in the evening while they cook dinner or relax.  If Andrew is working days he doesn't even get to see Ellie.  If he is working nights he may only see her for an hour in the afternoon.  The only quality time he gets with her is on his days off (which are rare).
Earlier tonight Andrew called to tell me that he was covered in blood and needed me to bring him clean shoes and socks because his were soaked.  Mind you this was at 10:30 pm, Ellie was in bed.  What do I do?  Do I wake her up and take her?  Do I call someone and ask them to come over?  Two months ago, I would have woken her up because I wouldn't have had anyone to call.  Tonight though, I thought, "Who else will be up at 10:30 that won't mind helping me out?"  Of course, another resident's wife!  I knew that she would understand.  Thankfully, my sweet neighbor was able to come to my rescue!  She came to stay with Ellie (and Bailey) while I took new clothes up to Andrew.  I don't think too many business men need their wives to bring them a change of clothes :)
I know that all people struggle with balancing their lives with their work.  I am finally feeling like I can handle it.  I just have to adjust, be flexible, and relish every second of down time.  I am so thankful for the resident's wives that I have bonded with.  They can completely relate and have helped me to adapt to the residency lifestyle.
Andrew LOVES his job and LOVES the people he works with.  He is beyond intelligent and is also eager to learn more.  I am so proud to be Mrs. Dr. Morris.

1 comment:

  1. Though completely different, I think there are a lot of similarities between a doctor's wife and minister's wife. Hours are almost 24/7 with few times "off" and it's difficult to leave your work at work. I often find myself at home with E in bed waiting on Patrick to get home. Hang in there, I'm sure things will settle down as you get into routines and it's not all so "new"!

    ReplyDelete